User-agent: Mediapartners-Google Disallow: User-agent: * Disallow: /search Allow: / Sitemap:

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

In Which I Admit It's OK To Accept Help

*this photo was taken one month ago*
One of the things I promised myself was that I would allow myself to share more about life on my blog in order to not come across as one who may have it all together. Rather, I hope to show how human I really am so you may be able to better relate to me. 

On that note, let me tell you about the past 24 hours.

Yesterday we woke up and were on with our day as usual. Alex went to school, the hubster went to work, and Eliana and I went shopping together while waiting for Alex to be done with school. All was well. Everyone felt fine. 

After we all ate lunch together, I tweeted:

At this point, I felt super exhausted. No, really. I was very tired suddenly and was beginning to feel not too hot.

And here is where my drama started. I began to feel sick to my stomach. It was all so fast and furious that I wondered to myself, "Am I pregnant?". It honestly felt like morning sickness to me. Suddenly, I had another marble rolling around in my head. Apparently, for me, it's not enough to feel like garbage, I have to go "there" with it at the same time. {lol}

Well, I really started feeling bad and was laying on the couch. Alex was supposed to be resting but I could hear him playing in his room so I knew I wouldn't actually get to sleep. Then I heard Eliana beginning to fuss as she napped. I got myself off the couch and went to see her. 

When I picked Eliana up, she clung to me and started crying. I knew something was off with her but to be fair, she is currently in the process of cutting 4 teethe so I just assumed that was the problem. I decided to lay down with her on my bed and try to calm her down. Then, it happened. Eliana threw up all over my bed. If I was already feeling terrible, can you guess what I did? Yup. I got sick too. {Not on the bed, though. Just in case you're wondering.}

And this was how I spent my afternoon. Alex was playing and feeling fine while Eliana and I were miserable and clinging to each other. I called the hubster at work and asked him to come home right away. He was more than happy to oblige and came home in a hurry. He took over caring for Eliana and sent me off to bed.

I slept a bit and woke up feeling like I was on fire. I was no longer nauseas but felt weak and feverish. As I was laying in bed, I heard my mother-in-law's voice in the living room. The hubster gave her a call to ask for help caring for Eliana while Alex was running around. I then learned that my temperature was at 101 and admitted to myself that I was of no help to anyone as much as I wanted to be. Back to bed, I went. 

The hubster spoke with the pediatrician and they wanted Eliana to go to the local clinic as soon as possible. He planned to go with his mom to take her and his dad would come help me get Alex into bed for the night. His dad arrived, my fever started going down and strength began to slowly return, and then the hubster said, "I don't feel so good". I knew he had what Eliana and I had and I asked him to let me go to the clinic instead.

{quite a chain of events so far, huh?}

Well, since I still had a fever and the hubster was feeling sick, we decided to send Eliana with her grandparents who were both feeling fine and happy to help. It was so hard for me to let go but I knew it was what Eliana needed. 

But can I tell you? After I prayed that God would be with my in-laws, Eliana, and any doctors involved, I had a wonderful sense of peace. I wasn't worried at all about her and I knew she would be alright. That, my friends, is mercy. And, just as I was beginning to feel better, the hubster needed me to take care of him. That's mercy too. I was able to get Alex into bed on my own and then make sure the hubs was well taken care of. 

I was updated throughout the night. I heard stories of how great Eliana was doing. I learned that the nurse was able to get her IV in with one try and Eliana only cried for 10 seconds afterward. She was peaceful and slept through getting fluids and stomach medication. She also slept through the night and did wonderfully today with her doses of pedialyte and medication. She's one tough girl, that Eliana. 

It was difficult {at first} to take the help that was offered but I'm glad I did. Accepting help from family who love us is not wrong and it doesn't make me a bad mom. In fact, in this case, Eliana is better for it, I'm better for it, and the hubster is better for it. It's OK to need help and to accept it. It's OK to be human and to get sick from time to time.  Honestly, I don't even want to imagine what the night would have been like if we had tried to manage things on our own. 



Post a Comment

I am so happy you stopped by today. What is on your mind?

Copyright © Amy Clary | Designed With By Blogger Templates
Scroll To Top